The South Atlantic Environmental Research Institute has a vacancy for a Project Manager - GIS and Data Manager.
Based in Stanley, Falkland Islands. Competitive Salary and tax rates
Job Purpose: To provide GIS support to Falkland Islands Government (FIG) officers, SAERI employees and projects, NGOs in the Falkland Islands, the wider UKOTs and to manage aspects of the Falkland Islands Information Management System and GIS (IMS-GIS) Data Centre.
The South Atlantic Environmental Research Institute (SAERI) has been leading a project for the development and implementation of the Information Management System (IMS) and GIS Data Centre for the UKOTs in the South Atlantic region. Ascension Island, Falkland Islands, Tristan da Cunha and Saint Helena governments have been active participants in the project and the IMS-GIS data centre has grown and developed and now represents an online metadata catalogue as data discovery and access service; secure servers offering storage, security and backup for local data; analytical and mapping facilities supported by open source GIS courses; a series of best practice documents, guidelines, research permits, data request forms and data policy for avoiding data losses, duplication and ensuring data are documented, trackable and kept locally.
The GIS and Data Manager post focuses on two areas:
- Maintaining the Falkland Islands IMS-GIS Data Centre and being involved in the sustainability of the data centres in Ascension Island, Saint Helena and Tristan da Cunha.
- Providing GIS services and training courses (from basic to advanced QGIS tools, spatial database and webGIS design and implementation) to SAERI employees, SAERI projects, FIG officers, NGOs in the Falkland Islands, South Atlantic Islands and to organisations working in partnership with SAERI.
Essential criteria applicants should have include:
- Qualified with a MSc or greater in Geography, Informatics, Geoscience, Geomatics, Engineering or related subjects
- At least 5 years post graduate experience working in open source GIS (QGIS), data management and spatial database development and implementation
- At least 3 years of experience in data protection (back up, restore, replication, disaster recovery)
- Proven knowledge of GNU/Linux (Debian/Ubuntu distributions) server system administration
- At least 3 years of successful management experience
- Proven long term experience of working with open source software/system administration
- Proven strong skills in building spatial database (PostgreSQL/PostGIS)
- High level of computer literacy and confidence in using tools such as R, QGIS, PostgreSQL, PostGIS (psql language), GDAL and OGR libraries, and open source webGIS frameworks such as Lizmap, and platforms to create OGC compliant services like WMS/WFS/WCS (e.g. GEONODE, QGIS server).
- Familiar and confident in writing SQL and spatial SQL codes for querying data in spatial databases (PostgreSQL)
- Being a problem solver with good interpersonal skills who can listen and help a variety of audience, including international scientists, government officers, NGOs, private sector (Directors, CEOs) to clarify needs, set targets and find the best solutions to them.